Thursday, June 4, 2009

Welcome

This is the blog of a reformed hyper-rationalist. Please understand that I do not fancy myself especially erudite nor articulate. Rather, I am confounded. The threads of arguments have tied me up in nots, and the harder I work to untangle them the more entwined and numerous the knots of nots become.

I have noticed that my thoughts seem to flow much more freely, and perhaps productively, when girdled by conversation. Left to my own thought processes the gaps in my epistemology become black holes that devour all the thoughts they neighbor. However, when I converse with others we seem to have different gaps. And our different experiences and perspectives act as lilly-pads for the other person's thoughts to merrily skip across. It is my hope that this blog will allow me to engage some others in such conversations.

Why choose a blog for this? Well, blogs are perhaps the most voluntary means of conversing I know of. If one doesn't want to, one does not need to comment nor read. I have tried to engage many people in conversations on the nature of knowledge and it is clear that most people would prefer to not think about such things. I don't judge them for this. In fact, in some sense I envy them. This is not an enterprise I enter into entirely willfully - I am drawn to it, and I beg you to distract me from it.

If you would like to help me quilt together a worldview on this blog then please comment, or even better - send me an email to join, and post here.

1 comment:

  1. Your big words make my head hurt. After reading this, I'd highly suggest that you get in with the psych crowd at UNM. Geoffrey is back from Australia & his book just came out. You two could talk in big words together & about how you share the most common last name ever.

    ReplyDelete